Want hair that looks shiny and smooth? Then say goodbye to the cotton pillowcase, and opt for a satin, bamboo or silk pillowcase. No more bad hair day, split ends, broken combs or anti-frizz scenes. In this blog, we explain why a pillowcase is so important for hair and which one is best for your hair.
Why is a pillowcase so important for your hair?
Constantly pressing your face on a pillow can cause trauma to the skin and hair. For example, a cotton pillowcase can create friction and cause or worsen hair problems. It is for this reason that beauty specialists recommend choosing soft and supple material where your hair glides on the fabric. This way your hair is less likely to become static and you will prevent split ends, oily hair and reduce tangles. In this regard, a good pillowcase can also provide the enhancing effect of hair products.
What materials are available for pillowcases?
Nowadays, there are many types of pillowcase materials, such as microfiber, cotton, linen, cashmere, tencel, bamboo, flannel, satin and silk. Many beauty specialists highly advise against a cotton pillowcase and recommend the silk pillowcase, satin pillowcase and bamboo pillowcase for skin and hair. Therefore, these 3 types are the focus of this blog.
Silk is made from the silkworm. In the process from the caterpillar to a butterfly, a cocoon is spun with very thin threads and glue. After the butterfly pupates, the glue is melted and the thread unwound. The threads are then wound into silk yarn. Our range includes silk pillowcases made from 100% mulberry silk, also known as mulberry silk.
Satin is not a material, but a weaving technique also called atlas weaving. This weaving technique creates a smooth, shiny fabric that looks very stylish and soft. The satin weave is used with fabrics such as silk, cotton and polyester.
Bamboo pillowcases are made from bamboo plants, with no animal suffering involved. This sustainable material is considered a grass and grows very fast. The fabric is cooling, breathable and naturally has antibacterial and antifungal properties.
Advantages and disadvantages of satin for your hair
Advantages satin pillowcase
- Soft pillowcase;
- Chic appearance;
- Does not extract moisture and oil from hair;
- Less trouble with frizzy hair;
- Less trouble with split ends and tangles.
The beautiful benefits do depend on which fabric the satin pillowcase is made from. For example, a cotton pillowcase is strongly discouraged, but in combination with a silk pillowcase, it is considered top product for hair.
Disadvantages of satin pillowcases
- Bad for the environment: washing the synthetic fabric releases small particles of microplastics that are bad for the environment;
- Not sustainable when choosing cheap fabric: The cheaper the fabric, the sooner you will often have to buy a new pillowcase;
- Not hypoallergenic: House dust mites also live in satin, so it is not nice for people with allergies;
- Cotton satin soaks up moisture: This is bad for your hair and skin. Satin combined with silk does not do this;
- Flammable when combined with polyester or cotton.
Advantages and disadvantages of a bamboo pillowcase for your hair
- Soft pillowcase;
- Hypoallergenic: Suitable for people with house dust mite allergy.
- Cold pillow: If you get hot easily or perspire a lot in your sleep, this pillowcase is very suitable;
- Hardwearing: Still looks brand new after wash after wash;
- Cheaper than silk;
- More durable than silk and satin.
- No smooth cushion: less suitable for porous hair or dry curls;
- Less chic than silk.
Silk pillowcase, the #1 for your hair
Despite the fact that satin and bamboo are highly praised by beauty specialists, there is only one real #1, and that is silk. Why? Check out the wonderful benefits of a silk pillowcase here:
- Soft pillowcase;
- Radiates luxury and class;
- Moisture resistant;
- Temperature regulating;
- Supple material (sleep without tossing and turning);
- Prevents skin problems and softens the skin;
- Odor resistant;
- Easily washable (quick dry);
- Strongest natural fiber;
- Least polluting compared to all textile processes;
Tip: In addition to our silk pillowcases, check out our premium silk Scrunchies. soft, subtle and a firm hold to improve hair condition! Or check out our silk sleep bundles with sleep masks for hair and skin.